BASIC TRACKING PROGRAM (BTP)
BTP will introduce participants to the ancient and time-
Previous outdoor experience is beneficial but not essential for successful completion of this program.
Full Course Description
The first 3 hours of this training program includes a PowerPoint lecture describing the concepts and principles of tracking and sign reading and a presentation on the use of a tracking stick to record measurements of foot impressions and to assist in the acquisition of track and sign.
The remainder of the class is devoted to field exercises with a focus on macro and micro tracking. The course concludes with a practical exercise involving ten different scenarios that will test a participant’s ability to read and interpret track and sign.
A short night tracking exercise will reinforce lessons learned during the day session and will employ the use of an artificial light source to read track and sign in low ambient light and nighttime conditions.
STAG’s BTP will entail an 8 (+)-
- Appropriate clothing and footwear for the time of year and geographic area
- Headcover with a brim
- Bag lunch and hydration pack and/or bottled water
- Sunblock and Insect repellent
- Note pad and pen or pencil
- Small signal mirror or compact mirror
- A small flashlight. A colored detachable filter lens (red, blue, green, or yellow) is recommended
Feel free to call us at (805) 762-